Elevated Body Mass has time and time again been shown to wreak havoc on the body. According to the CDC, some of the things that come along with elevated body mass are as follows:
People who carry excess weight or have obesity*, compared to those with healthy weight, are at increased risk for many serious diseases and health conditions. These include:
- All-causes of death (mortality).
- High blood pressure (hypertension).
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (dyslipidemia).
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Coronary heart disease.
- Gallbladder disease.
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint).
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems.
- Many types of cancer.
- Low quality of life.
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders.
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning.
*Overweight is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or higher. Obesity is defined as a BMI of 30 or higher. See the BMI calculator for people 20 years and older and the BMI calculator for people ages 2 through 19.
At Adjusting to Health, we individualize a plan for you specifically to help reduce inflammation and aid the loss of unwanted pounds to ward off the diseases that come along with them.